Malware is software or web content that can harm your organisation. The best-known type of malware is viruses which can infect your system.
Here are some ways to prevent malware damaging your business:
- Install antivirus software – on all computer and laptops
- Use a firewall.
- Be careful when downloading apps – only download apps from manufacturer-approved stores such as Google Play or Apple’s App Store.
- Keep all your equipment up-to-date by downloading updates and patches (we covered the importance of updates and patches in last month’s security briefing https://www.ncs-support.co.uk/news/the-importance-of-updates-and-patches/)
- Control how USBs and memory cards can be used – you can block access to physical ports for users and only allow approved drives and cards to be used within your organisation.
- Give staff accounts enough access as is required to perform their role with extra permissions for those who need it.