Security awareness training provider KnowBe4 have released their findings of the top-clicked phishing email subjects for the last quarter. The below are actual emails which users have received and reported to their IT departments as suspicious.
- You have a new encrypted message
- IT: Syncing Error – Returned incoming messages
- HR: Contact information
- FedEx: Sorry we missed you.
- Microsoft: Multiple log in attempts
- IT: IMPORTANT – NEW SERVER BACKUP
- Wells Fargo: Irregular Activities Detected On Your Credit Card
- LinkedIn: Your account is at risk!
- Microsoft/Office 365: [Reminder]: your secured message
- Coinbase: Your cryptocurrency wallet: Two-factor settings changed
*Capitalization and spelling are as they were in the phishing test subject line **In-the-wild email subject lines represent actual emails users received and reported to their IT departments as suspicious. They are not simulated phishing test emails.
Please pass on the message to your staff to report anything they think is suspicious to their IT contact. We have also put together a useful “How to Spot a Phishing Email, with Three Easy Clues” cheatsheet on our website here >